Working with Separated Children in the Asylum System
- Lisa Killham, UKBA Childrens Champion - 'UKBA’s approach to children – overview and future plans'
- A young person - The experience of being a separated child in the system
- Nadine Finch, Barrister, Garden Court Chambers - will present key findings and recommendations from forthcoming UNHCR /UNICEF guidance on the best interests of children
- Nev Jeffries, British Red Cross, Head International Tracing and Message Services - How to help children restore links with family whilst ensuring their safety.
- Prof Ravi Kohli, Prof of Child Welfare, University of Bedfordshire - final speaker of the day, theme to be confirmed
The Expert Sessions, which will focus on 4 topics, are outlined below and delegates can attend 2 of the sessions:
1. Age Assessment - How to make your age assessment lawful and achieve best practice - expert tbc
2. Trafficked Children - Identifying and safeguarding trafficked children - Mike Hand, Tactical Adviser, UK Human Trafficking Centre
3. Preparing a Human Rights Assessment for refused young people - with expert Zubier Yazdani, Pierce Glynn Solicitors
4. Making decisions on children’s asylum claims - with expert Ruth Hadland, UKBA, Regional Corporate Partner Lead - UASC's & Vulnerable Adults